*** Starts at 5pm EST 12/5
Hack the Bronx is an online hackathon centered around the Bronx community whose mission is to spread the passion of computer science, to broaden access to digital tools and to improve the Bronx community.
The theme of the hackathon is: How can you improve life in your neighborhood using digital tools?
High school and middle school students that identify as part of the Bronx community will work from Monday (12/5) to the following Sunday (12/11) in groups or individually to come up with an innovative idea that responds to an aspect of their community that either they themselves or fellow community members have labeled as needing improvement. They will then combine their knowledge of computer science, problem-solving, and effective teamwork to present a project that addresses the theme at the end of the weekend.
There are two sub-categories in the hackathon:
- Beginner - The beginner level of HackTheBronx will focus on participants with less experience with programming. Primarily using Scratch, a block-based programming language, or the basics of web design/python, participants will create projects to demonstrate their creative ideas.
- Programmers with Experience - This level of HackTheBronx will be centered around participants who have a stronger understanding and experience with programming. Using a variety of different text-based programming languages, participants will implement their ideas and create a workable prototype.
Our website: www.hackthebronx.com
- Written explanation of what problem you are solving, a description of your project, how your project is solving the problem selected, and next steps for your idea/project.
- A short video explaining your project and how it works.
- Submit source code (any applicable links)
- Any additional links or information you want the judges to consider.
$1,500 in prizes
Best Overall Idea - $500 amazon gift card
Regardless of what section you enter, this prize is for the best idea. The prize is a $500 amazon gift card
1st place PWE - $500 amazon gift card
Winner in Programmers with Experience section. The prize for this category is a $500 amazon gift card
2nd Place PWE - $200 amazon gift card
Second place in Programmers with Experience section. This prize is a $200 amazon gift card.
3rd Place PWE - $100 amazon gift card
Third place in Programmers with Experience section. This prize is an $100 amazon gift card
Beginners Prize - $200 amazon gift card
Winner in Beginners section. The prize for this section is a $100 amazon gift card.
Submitting to this hackathon could earn you:
Horace Mann School
The judges will judge your project based the innovation of your idea.
Feasibility of Implementation
The judges will look to see if your project can be relatively easily implemented in the Bronx community.
The judges will judge your project based on if it works in the way intended.
The judges will judge your project based on its design.